Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Tempus fugit

Wow - I can't believe it - Orrocks are already in Italy (and I hope you're enjoying every SECOND of it - if anything comes up, just e-mail me, and I can get you advice as quickly as possible), and you're headed out next week, Price!!!

I've almost officially hit my limit as to advice and suggestions, simply because my standard touring area is Tuscany and south!!! I've got a little about Venice in this passage, but when it comes to those beautiful spots north of there, I've yet to visit myself (ah, when I have a year to travel with Jay as ADULTS) . . .

REALLY enjoy your time in Emilia Romano - for the time you'll spend there, you probably be able to allow a day of peace (rest, do laundry, catch up on upcoming plans). Get to know the area, and find out from your concierge (or your town's tourist stop) about concerts which are happening during your stay. May is a ripe time for Spring Festivals, too, and many small towns are honoring their patron saint during this time! And, for this region, the most important goal for you is to eat, and eat well. Hit those indoor food markets, and drink the wine (yes, Dad will tell you that lambrusco's not my favorite, but when you're in the place where it's made . . .). Stuff yourself. And, by all means, eat Parmesan every day. Sprinkled with pepper and drizzled with honey, it makes a perfect dessert.

Don't worry - you'll walk it all off while in Venice. Be sure to plan a day to take the vaporetti out to Murano (and buy lots of glass pieces), and possibly spend another 1/2 day checking out the lace in Burano. Expect to spend a few hours touring St. Marco's. And, for the rest of the time, enjoy the personality of the city - the back, winding corridors; the hidden churches; the small facades of random buildings. As I mentioned in my Transportation blog, be sure to use the 24-hour Vaporetti tickets and save money for wine and dinner!

Lake Como? I can't even write anything here - too jealous. Just enjoy the very beauty of it all.

And, finally, Milan. Of course, you will see the Last Supper. You'll visit the Duomo. You'll check out the fashion. Please be sure to take the time to savor your last few days in Italy, though. You've had an INCREDIBLE trip!!!

L :)

No comments: