Monday, May 4, 2009

Cell Phones: To Rent or Not to Rent?

Just had an e-mail from a parent, asking about cell phones and general communications access for while we're in Italy (ah, such a brief stay). Over the years, I've seen kids handle communications during the trip in many ways:
1. Renting a cell phone (but it takes serious control on the part of the kiddo - can get expensive if they have to keep in touch with their friends) - a good way for you to immediately be able to reach your child at all times (but the homestays all have their own phone lines, which you can call directly). Personally, I'm not a fan of cell phones, but SPI has a leash to me, too. :) Those kids without a cell phone never mention any regrets - they make plans as everyone leaves to return home for dinner, and they meet up in the Campo after dinner at their homes. I think the ones without the cell phones feel a little more freedom than the others.
Life in Italy is community-based, not the American individual-based style we're so accustomed to. I discourage students bringing anything which isolates them from others (Ipod, handheld games, etc.), both for the regret of losing something so expensive, but also for the reason of losing out on an opportunity to meet someone new or find a new experience to communicate (which is REALLY why we're here).
2. By computer - not only does Dante Alighieri have computers available for the students, but there are so many cheap internet spots throughout the city. It's how I do most of my communication. And, kids, you can write one e-mail and send it to everyone, then get out of there faster and enjoy more of your time in Siena!
3. Cheap International calling spots - my favorite one is just $.10 a minute to call home directly. How I keep in touch with my husband during my Italy stays. There are several in the center of town.
4. Calling Cards - it's a MUCH better deal to use a calling card from the US to call Italy, rather than the other way around. A $20 international phone card will last a full 3 week trip, with my husband calling me. 20E schede internationale might last me a week, calling my husband in the US. You can get an international calling card from anywhere like Walgreens or CVS, and call to the homestays. Make plans for specific times when you'll call (usually around 6 PM in Italy - 11 AM in Dallas - is a good time - after touring, before dinner . . . during homework time?).

I hope this helps you in making your decision as to whether an investment in a cell phone is worth it to you . . . could be more gelato money, my friends!!!

abbraci,
L :)

2 comments:

Margaret said...

)h, good to hear that. I was wondering about asking the 'rents if renting a cell phone would be bene...and your input has convinced me that its probably not a "have to" for the trip. See you in Latino! <3

Laura Hudec said...

Thanks for your thoughts on this! Parents - just one more quick thought - can you imagine what a great time they're having if you never hear from them? :)