Wednesday, January 18, 2012

BRILLIANT Questions I'm sure you're all wondering

Did you receive this e-mail? I'm hoping it'll help you with some advice!!!






Just to start the discussion, parents, with students:

1. I want to take my portable computer. Should I? And if I do, do I need an adapter.

Computers are heavy, and you probably won’t have the time. Plus, if anything needs an adapter (which it will), you’re risking power surges or any kind of problem. If you’re asking “What should I take?”, here are my questions in reply:

a. Would you die if you lost it/it became broken?

b. Is it so valuable to you that you’d be really inconvenienced if it were permanently gone?

Personally, I’m taking my Nook, so that I can keep track of flights/travel plans (in document format) and hopefully keep tweets running about our trip. That’s it.

2. Are you taking your phone or renting one from the website? And, if I take my computer, will I need a phone? I want to be able to skype with (LOVED ONE) at night if I can get him technologically adept…..

On as brief a trip as ours, a computer will be extra unnecessary weight. Besides, WiFi can be sketchy in hotels (even in the US – at a COMPUTER EDUCATOR’S state conference, our hotel’s WiFi dropped every three minutes). And renting phones is SO expensive for a week’s trip. Save your wallet, time, and backs/shoulders for better things, and schedule “call dates” with your loved one. Have them call you from the US! You’ll have the hotel contact information after our Departure Meeting.

7 PM = Noon in Dallas – should work for all our nights in Rome

12 Midnight = 5 PM in Dallas – will work for every evening

6 AM = 11 PM in Dallas – will work for every morning



There are always international calling stations/internet points which are far better deals – pay cash for time spent. There are a few nearby our hotel in Rome, and there’s my favorite spot located in the center of Siena (I’ve done five summers’ worth of trips away from Jay – gotta talk to my honey somehow).



Questions 3 and 4 can be combined:

3. Are you taking a separate debit card or just the one you use from home?

4. When they tell you to bring $200-$300 cash, are they talking Italian money or American?

American money! And even I am using my usual check card, which I use at home. You get the best exchange rate by using ATMs/MACs for cash (not using as a credit card – you are charged 3% on top of your charge on ALL credit cards).

Parents, if you have a special item you’d like your child to purchase, you can give them a credit card, and specific directions regarding the purchase.

5. I tend to snore when I sleep. Which means whomever I am sleeping with needs ear plugs……

If you have special prescriptions/objects for any purpose (head gear, etc.), please DO bring it on the trip! You don’t want to have any physical convenience ruining your (or anyone else’s) sleep, especially when rest is so important after such intense touring days. If you don’t have any gear for snoring, please purchase nose strips!!! Be kind to your roommate!

6. Did a practice drill on clothes this morning in my suitcase. Looks like it will work out great. I am packing an extra bag so on the way home I can check any extras that I buy over there.

YAY!!! SUPER SMART!!! Or make sure you have room in your bags for whatever you want to bring home. My goal is to buy a children’s book from every city we visit. What do YOU want to bring home for your memories?

HUGS,

Laura

No comments: