Monday, June 9, 2008

Homesickness and Culture Shock

Buon Giorno, Tutti!

Last Thursday, while in my dorm room at cheer camp (yes, I'm alive and in one piece), I realized that we have only TWO weeks left. And now, that's just 1.5 weeks left. If you're in Dallas, be sure to come by Penne Pomodoro at noon on Thursday, June 12, for final chats and questions. Those of you who are not in the Dallas area, please send out e-mails with comments and questions! You can always access each other's information through the SPIItaly 2008 Google group, if you'd like to get to know your roommate!

Parents, this one is more for you, while, students, these are good signs to watch out for, especially during our first week or so.

Homesickness and Culture shock are real, and can really affect your point of view whenever you're experiencing life in another place than the comfort of your home. Those of you who have been to camp or have spent an extended time traveling understand this feeling. It's that irritibility with everyone and everything around you, for no explicable reason. Or perhaps it's a terrible longing for something you can't determine. It can even get so severe as to cause physical problems, including gastro-intestinal problems or headaches. Anyone (and probably everyone) can be a victim to culture shock. I know I have a little bit of it every time I get to Italy, and I've been going almost every summer since 1995!

Parents, when you speak to your kiddos during their first week's stay in Siena, they may say some things which are strongly indicative of culture shock or homesickness. When you hear these phrases, you need to understand that they're just wanting you to listen to them, and be compassionate with them. Let me share some standard phrases which indicate homesickness, and the actual translation of these things you'll hear:

What they say: "They don't feed me enough/The food is terrible"
What they mean: "I'm not being fed what I want"

What they say: "They yell (at me) a lot"
Translation: It's a tendency to raise one's voice in common conversation in Italian, but it doesn't indicate anger - rather, it's just part of the excitement of speaking Italian.

What they say: "I'm bored/There's nothing for me to do"
What they mean: "I'm hiding away in my homestay/Not getting out at all or meeting people/not taking advantage of the many opportunities Laura is offering"

What they say: "I can't understand anything"
What they mean: "I'm not practicing the language or seeking out help with learning Italian"

What they say: "I live SO far away from everyone"
Translation: Siena is a VERY small town. And even the homestays outside of the wall are never more than a 1/4 or 1/2 mile walk from the walls. "I'm not used to using something besides a car to transport myself"

What they say: "I don't like my homestay (for whatever reason)"
What they mean: "It's not home" (what a wonderful experience for a teenager to realize how much they appreciate what YOU have created for them!)

Of course, if your child is bringing up issues of discomfort, they probably haven't spoken to me about it yet. Please contact SPI if you hear about anything which truly concerns you. In the Parent Departure Powerpoint, I ask you to please contact SPI if you hear about anything inappropriate/unsafe, or if you want to share anything great/inspiring (Jeremy really needs it during these months of management). They will contact me immediately (even if it's in the middle of the night), and I'll speak to your child the very next time I see them. My first question to the student will always be, "Are you inconvenienced, or are you uncomfortable?"

I'm here to always be a support to your child. Always. My number one job is to ensure your child's safety and well-being on this trip. I also am in daily communication with the homestays (through the school homestay secretary - yes, they have a person at Dante Alighieri whose job is JUST to be in communication with homestays and me). As my theme has been throughout these blogs, COMMUNICATION will keep all people happy.

With this said, what a WONDERFUL experience for your child to learn appreciation for the comforts of home by living in such a beautiful other world for a few weeks! And in Tuscany - truly, a paradise not many people have the chance to experience. I can't wait to share this time with all of you!

Hugs,
Laura :)

No comments: