Monday, June 16, 2008

Last-minute Packing Tips

Buon Giorno, Tutti!

This could be my last entry before our departure on Thursday . . . how quickly this time has flown!

So, here's my philosophy on packing: As long as you have your passport and deodorant, you can get anything else when we arrive. Now, with that said, you'll see that even I perform the crime of overpacking (but I'm working on whittling down the piles right now) - it's innate to want to make sure that you have not omitted anything before our fun trip!

Jeremy included a great packing list on pages 5 and 6 of the Orientation folder which you received to prepare for the trip. Follow it closely (yes, I think it's madness to pack such few tops and bottoms, too, but believe me, it preserves your sanity and strength). And even though the bolded section in "Electronics" seems madness, too, please take it seriously. You can buy a hairdryer when you arrive into Siena (we'll have them in our hotel in Sorrento) - your homestay may even already have one there!

As for the rest of the list, let's dissect it a little for clarification:
Clothes - believe me, you'll think you've overpacked if you put in more than what's recommended. You'll have time to do laundry (or have laundry done) at least once a week. Definitely want a swimsuit - I think we just got upgraded to a hotel with a pool in Sorrento, and you may want to journey out to the Tuscan beach for one of our free Sundays! Also, I choose to wear my swimsuit on our heavy touring days (Capri), rather than pit out another pair of underwear. Much easier to clean in the shower. You can combine the sweater/sweatshirt/jacket combination - I am bringing a cardigan to help me with that magic. And, my best advice, pack in themes. Almost all of my skirts/capris will go with any of my tops I'm packing. As I said before, pick out your favorite pair of dress shoes, and pack your "nice" outfit to match with it.

Toiletries - Everything on there is good. Be sure to pack any medication in your carry-on, and, if it's prescription, have it in its original bottle (for custom's sake).

Miscellaneous - great suggestions here. May I add one or two more? Bring a keychain so that you'll have a way to carry any keys to your homestay (we aren't tourists anymore!). If you need something to use to read at night, or for the sake of just having light around when it's dark at night, consider bringing a mini flashlight or maglight . . . wait . . . aren't there ones with a keychain link on them? :) And the more you can combine, the better (watch with an alarm clock? Windbreaker jacket which doubles as a raincoat?). I'll take you by a school supply store the first day we're in Siena, so don't overload with the supplies before we're there.

Do not bring - Seriously, if you can't live without it, you can probably live without it during our three weeks together. Every year, I leave behind my engagement ring just to make sure it's not going to become an Italian trade piece - ensured as it is, it's still in better shape sitting in my jewelry box at home. And if it's a "just in case" thing, you can buy it there. We are living in a civilized area of the world where there are grocery stores and department stores.

Carryon - This isn't mentioned much in the orientation folder, so I thought I'd give you my "from an experienced traveler" carryon packing list, and reasons (for those of you who doubt):
Passport - once we get through customs in Roma, I'll take this from you, and you'll get it back from me the day of our return to the US. thus...
Copy of Passport
Master Checklist - to turn in to me when we meet at Newark
Few favorite snacks - our first day of arrival is going to feel like the LONGEST DAY OF YOUR LIFE. Your schedules will be totally off - it'll feel to your body that we're landing in Rome at midnight, and I'll expect you to pick up and hop to the bus, hop to Pompeii, and hop through over half of Pompeii before we stop at the cafeteria for lunch. Remember those cheese and cracker combos I gave you in the baggie (Maddy, you're getting yours when we meet in Newark)? They're for our first day.
Change of clothes - just pack your cute outfit for Capri in the carryon. That way, if our bags are lost and we can't get them until Sunday, you're still looking cute. But with good sturdy walking shoes. Which brings to mind...
Necessary toiletries - not your entire makeup kit from home, or the large bottles of shampoo. Just what you'd need if we lost our bags. And please remember that we're staying in a NICE hotel in Sorrento - they'll have the usuals (shampoo, soap, etc.).
Prescription medicine - if you'll need it within 48 hours, it should be in your carry-on. And please be sure it is in that original container!
Whatever you need for plane entertainment/comfort - Kids, it's a long trip. We'll get movies, and I'll encourage you to sleep on the plane, but you'll be too excited. And I'm not perky on flights, thanks to Dramamine. Sudoku? Crosswords? My monthly newsletters (you've GOT to know some of those Italian words by now)? A good novel? My husband just bought me a hand-held Solitaire game, which will get me through ALL the travel on Thursday! :) Also, I make it a point to bring comfy socks, and quickly get out of my shoes when we board. Perhaps earplugs or an eyemask for those of you who can't do noise or light?

I am so thrilled to see all of you on Thursday! Please feel free to COMMENT to this blog for any last-minute questions - I'll be doing all updates through this blog only, rather than with the group.

BIG HUGS,
Laura :)

No comments: