Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Travel Stress/Jetlag/Culture Shock

Ciao, Tutti!

Ah, so happy to be in summer mode now! And, as my husband can attest, my brain has switched into full Italy-planning mode . . . it’s like a
new life is being breathed into me! Jeremy sent out the final packet
of stuff for our trip, which has me totally pumped!!! With the
exchange rate being so strong, we’re getting to do things we’ve never
done before in the SPI Italy program! But I don’t share all my
secrets at once. You’ll just have to wait to find out as we enjoy the
trip together . . .

Parents, this entry is for you. Please take my best intentions to
heart, and know that I share this with you as a veteran teacher who
stands in loco tuo.

Stress. It’s such a funny beast. We all live with it, and some of us
thrive better while under pressure, while others of us aren’t such big
fans of the inconveniences of stress (I’ll admit, I’m in the latter
group). I was part of a stress-management group on a faculty where I
worked once. The first time we met, we did a survey to assess factors
which most cause stress. There are sources of good stress, and
sources of bad stress, and often one source could give you good or bad
stress, depending on how it affects you and when it hits. Some of the
biggest sources of stress? Change of schedule, change of living
situations/environments, change of eating habits . . . all of which
you endure when travelling.

You’ve seen your child endure stress before, in whatever forms it
rears its nasty head. For anyone who has done extensive travel
before, you know that you endure both a physical and emotional strain.
Stress manifests itself in various ways for travellers:

1. Jet Lag – maybe you know this malady from the hung-over feeling
you have for a few days following a time change. They say that it
takes you as many days to get over jet lag as the amount of hours’
difference on your body (e.g. from Dallas to Rome is 7 hours’
difference; thus, it will take a week on either side to truly
rehabilitate from jet lag. ICK). Jet Lag isn’t just a lazy
sleepiness; it can show up as various forms of indigestion, nausea,
and dehydration, and it can affect your nerves, bringing on
irritability and impatience. Some of the nastiest jet lag I’ve
suffered was after a flight between Dallas and Spokane (WA), so don’t
think this happens only on international experiences.

2. Culture Shock – this, too, isn’t just in your mind. When you find
yourself in a new home, forced to utilize a new/vaguely familiar
language, having to live on a schedule you’re not used to, discovering
various minor inconveniences . . . well, add a little bit of jet lag
to this, and you can have a vicious monster. Even the smallest things
will set someone off, and I’ve even seen students who refuse to sleep
or eat (REALLY!?!?! Not eating in ITALY??? REALLY!?!?!).

Parents, your kiddos may experience either one of these while we’re on
the trip. Usually, it happens during the first week (also during
which, by the way, we are thrown into the midst of the frenzy of the
Palio). In my Departure Info Powerpoint, I included a slide of “what
they say/what they mean” to help you realize some of the things you
can expect to hear from your kiddo.

I have two questions which are applicable to most challenging
situations while we’re on this trip:
1. Is this a stupid mistake, or is it self-destructive behavior? (if
it’s a repeat offense, it’s the latter, always – BTW, Parents, if
there’s a behavior I should monitor, please feel free to contact me
privately),
AND
2. Are you uncomfortable, or are you inconvenienced?

When your student expresses frustration at the trip, appreciate the
fact that they’re trying to share their emotions with you. If
something sounds severe or inappropriate, of course you should contact
SPI. But please remember that you have entrusted your kiddo to the
SPI program and a veteran teacher like me, and I’m talking with your
kiddo constantly, always making sure that they are safe and
comfortable. If it’s something which only I can handle locally, know
that I’m probably already on it.

Again, contact SPI if:
1. Something illegal or inappropriate is happening, and I don’t know
about it; OR
2. Something amazing and wonderful is happening – Celeste and Jeremy
TOTALLY need to hear these things!!!

Hugs to you all!

Peace,
Laura :)

No comments: