Tuesday, May 4, 2010

What To Carry On

Buon Giorno, Tutti!

After sending out that note last night, I figured I should get on the ball with these blog entries!

This weekend, I joined my husband and father-in-law for one of their famed baseball weekends. This isn't my first time - we did Kansas City/St. Louis just two summers ago. And this one was even nicer - we flew into Miami for a Dolphins' game, then drove to Tampa for a Rays game (got to visit the Dali museum), and flew home on Sunday (not before enjoying brunch with some old family friends). A trip like this one reminded me of how important it is to pack smartly - Jay and I fit all we needed into one carry-on suitcase (and, yes, girls, I did have a pair of cute shoes and a pair of walking shoes).

The best advice about carry-ons is this: either carry on as much as possible, or carry on as little as possible. If you're checking a suitcase (as I'm sure all of us will for our trip), make sure you have just the essentials in your carry-on.
What do I put in mine (the backpack)?
Source of entertaining reading - a really good book (I'm taking my summer-reading assignment for my English classes), your copies of paperwork (and mine)
Important paperwork and medicines: If you take it daily, put it in your carry-on. If you need it for emergencies, put it in your carry-on. If it has a prescription, be sure you have a copy of that paperwork (and a copy for me) in your carry-on.
Emergency items: dramamine or bonine, bandaids, neosporin, gas-X strips (great if you get bloated easily)
hygiene products: facewash cloths (Mary Kay's are packaged dry and folded up - wet them in the sink), travel-sized deodorant, toothbrush/travel toothpaste
Color for jetlagged old lady like me: eyeliner/bronzer
Snacks (in case one of you needs it): packages of crackers/peanut butter or cheese
***Change of clothes in case bags don't make it (or, at least, underwear and a t-shirt . . . but, then again, it isn't terrible to have an excuse to go shopping in Rome . . .)

Please remember that we're living in Siena - a finely-developed city, not some third-world place without plumbing. I plan to make a visit to the laundromat in the middle of our trip, and don't want to spend my money on more than one load's worth of wash and dry. Some of your homestays will even offer to wash a load for you (mine doesn't, but I still love her - beg to live with her every year). Pack accordingly.

How do you know if you've packed too much? SPI does give a good packing list in your notebooks which you'll receive, but here's the real way to test it: Pack your suitcase completely, including toiletries you plan to take. Leave it to the side, and go out all night. Before you get to sleep the next morning, pick up your suitcase, and carry it up and down three blocks, climb and descend two flights of stairs with it, then run up and down your street with it. Still happy with how you packed?

There are a few sections of packing advice in the monthly newsletters (you can find their links in the greeting area of the SPI Italy Quia page) - check them out!

a piu tardi!
Laura :)

P.S. Want to see some good views of Siena in a recent movie? "Letters to Juliet", while I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for brilliant plotline (just like "When in Rome"), does have some great views of major locations in Siena!

No comments: