Thursday, March 31, 2011

Beviamo???

There has been some discussion about concern regarding alcohol consumption on the trip. Let me state this official statement: for the sake of the safety and comfort of the group, it's not permitted. As a ten-year veteran Director of Italian Study-Abroad programs, I can attest that, when people come on a trip with the intent to consume beverages in an inappropriate manner, only trouble can happen. I have not only dealt with students who overdrink to the point of alcohol poisoning (and end up in the Siena Hospital), but I've also had to deal with the Quaestura (local police) because of students making inappropriate decisions while under the influence of alcohol. (While these were all great vocabulary-building experiences for me, they were a waste of my and our group's short-lived Italy time!)

According to the SPI Online Contract of Terms and Conditions, sections 18, 19, and 20, as well as at the top of (and throughout) the Standard of Conduct, we address this issue. Since this trip is not at all associated with the school where I work, I base my policies on the SPI company's policies. At the most, I am upholding my own moral standards for the best behavior of our group. At the least, I am upholding American laws.

Please let me know if you want to personally talk to me about this topic, but, as far as official statements go, alcohol consumption is a no-tolerance issue for me!

Always seeking to ensure the safest and best experience for the group,
Laura :)

No comments: