Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Borgias

As you'll read on this blog several times, I like to encourage viewing movies as a way to experience history and culture of a far and distant land. As far as media for Ancient Rome/Latin is concerned, there are fun movies (Gladiator) and totally inappropriate TV shows (Spartacus: Blood and Sand; Rome). Not that I wouldn't recommend them, but just know that I couldn't show more than 5 minutes of each hour-long show in the classroom! (Haven't yet seen "Eagle" - hope to do so this summer while I'm laid up on the sofa)

This weekend, Showtime is is starting up their next big epic series after "The Tudors," called "The Borgias." Personally, I can't wait to see it, but I will offer a few caveats to innocent eyes:
1. I haven't seen any of the shows, and I'm expecting them to have the same appropriate level as "The Tudors" or the prior-mentioned Roman-themed shows, i.e. too juicy for children's eyes;
2. I would never support anything which besmirches the papal name;
3. With #2 stated, I do know the history of the Borgia family and Alexander's history. And Jeremy Irons plays Pope Alexander. If you'd rather learn about the history of the papacy from an unbiased source, please let me know where you find one! :)

Please feel free to check prior entries to see other suggested movies for enjoying your pre-Italy experience! With the passing-away of Elizabeth Taylor, who WOULDN'T watch "Cleopatra"?

un' abbracio,
Laura

No comments: